Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wistful Wednesday

Today, I have a special guest on the blog. Please help me welcome Kate Dolan as she tells about her new book, Deceptive Behavior!



Deceptive Behavior

I wanted the hero of my new book, Deceptive Behavior, to be considered a bit strange by “society,” and so one of the ways I did that was to give him a tremendous aversion to London. For those of you not familiar with Regency romances, it would be like making a movie star allergic to Hollywood. It’s the center of the universe and everyone who’s anyone has to spend at least part of their time there.


But my hero is a bit odd.


He has his own reasons for disliking the city, but I thought today I’d share a Regency tourist’s impression of London – I think in many respects the tourist concurs with my hero.


“London does not strike with admiration,” he begins. While he admits the best parts of town are clean and convenient, he adds that “the site is flat; the plan monotonous; the predominant color of objects dingy and poor.”


Until I read this, I did not realize “dingy” was a color. Someone should notify the Crayola people.


My “tourist” is Louis Simond, a French émigré to America who titled his observations “An American in Regency England.” Since he could compare London to Paris in great detail, he was not a typical American, starting with the fact that most Americans did not have the time or money to tour England from December of 1809 to September of 1811. He is certainly not a Jed Clampett and he is not awed by being in one of the biggest cities in the western world as a more provincial American would be. For example, he complains that “[a]t night, you have eternal rows of lamps, making the straightness of the streets still more conspicuous and tiresome. This palpable immensity has something in it very heavy and stupifying.”


Most American towns had almost no streets, let alone streetlamps. So where most Americans might have said “wow!” at the sight of so many long rows of flickering lamps, Simond says “ho hum.”


He finds the Tower of London similarly unimpressive – “an irregular collection of buildings” which included a strong room with the crown jewels and menagerie that was “small, ill-contrived, and dirty.”
So what did he like about London? Well he liked shopping, but he mostly liked the jewelry stores because he was glad he had no urge to buy anything in them. (His wife’s feeling about this issue are not recorded.) The only thing he mentions buying is a snack. The pastry shops were a big hit with Simond. The other thing he liked? Let’s get another quote. “The breweries of London may justly be ranked among its greatest curiosities,” he notes, and then he goes on to describe the enormous tanks in great detail.


So here we have it, a guy’s view of sightseeing: the scenery is boring, I’m hungry and hey, did you see all that beer?


Fashions may change, but people apparently don’t.

Thanks for reading!

Kate Dolan writes historical fiction and romance under her own name and contemporary mysteries and children’s stories under the name K.D. Hays. Her latest book, Deceptive Behavior is part of a “Love and Lunacy” series about people who makes lots of bad choices. She blogs about history, fitness and other topics on her website at http://www.katedolan.com.


Book Blurb:

Geni Bayles has made some pretty poor choices when it comes to men. So she finally agrees to meet the suitor her mother has chosen, a painfully shy baronet from the country. When she encounters Sir Richard Latimer, however, she finds him witty, considerate and charming—but only because he thinks she’s a maid. She decides to continue the deception just long enough to learn his true personality.

Richard knows he has a duty to marry a rich woman to restore the estates on which so many people depend. But he would give anything to marry a fun, clever girl like the maid he’s just met. And just kissed.

He’s fallen for the right girl for the wrong reason. She’s made the wrong move for the right reason. They just might be perfect together—if it weren’t for the complete lack of trust.
______________________________________________
Link:
http://www.jasminejade.com/p-9447-deceptive-behavior.aspx
______________________________________________
Excerpt, if you have room:

“Goodnight, Lady Latimer,” Richard whispered as he slipped away from her.

“You’re leaving?

He nodded. “You have said you do not trust me.”

“What if I changed my mind?” her voice sounded unusually deep and husky.

“You would need a solicitor and three witnesses.”

“What?”

“You are not in a proper state to know your own mind at the moment, let alone to change it.”

“Are you saying I’m…that I am…” Damn, what was the word she was looking for?

“Foxed, yes.”

“That wasn’t the word. I meant incompetent.” That was the word that frequently came up in conversations about members of the Wright family.

“That too, if you prefer.”

“I resent your implication.”

“I would so much rather you resent my words than resent me.”

She turned away from him, crossing her arms against her chest. “Well I resent you both.”

“I’m sorry to hear it.”

“I am too.” Now she had to fight back tears. Her advances were rejected by her husband on her wedding night. What could possibly be more degrading?

Warm arms wrapped around her from behind. “You cannot possibly regret this any more than I do,” he said in a low voice.

“Then stay.” Her voice cracked.

He sighed, a deep sound full of longing. “You will understand tomorrow.” His breath made the back of her neck tingle.

She leaned back against him, but he gently pushed her away. “I must go.”

“But it’s our wedding night.”

“Which means nothing if you do not trust me.”

“But I said I do trust you now.”

“Goodnight, my love.”

“You cannot call me your love and then leave.”

“Goodnight.”

The door closed.

Geni flung herself on the bed and hurled her nightrail and dressing gown to the floor. She didn’t need a husband to help her undress. She didn’t need a maid to help her. She could…

She pulled the coverlet over her. She could sleep in her clothes.

_______________________________________________

And as an extra treat, I have a summer video suggestion:

“If You Leave Me, Can I Come To?”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSGtg26-TpU
Sort of fits the desperation of a romance novel, IMHO!

19 Moonbeams (comments):

Ellen said...

I love regency romances! I will have to check this one out!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, Kate!! I can't wait to read Deceptive Behavior!

Blessings
Michelle V

Kate Dolan said...

Thanks - I think I lean more toward comedy than romance. What does that say about my own love life?

Magda Alexander said...

Sounds like a really fun Regency read, Kate!

Amy V.

Laura said...

Kate,

Great post! Your tourist and your excerpt are both great. I think you're right - you have a definite comic streak.

... and all relationships need some humor, just to survive!

All the best,
Laura DT

Anonymous said...

I'm not usually historical (more like hysterical...) but this sounds like a fun read! It's fun to have such talented chapter mates!
Beth W. from MRW

Eliza Knight said...

Kate, your book sounds awesome! This is the second post I've read where you've discussed some of what went into the writing of your story, and I am totally hooked! Wishing you many sales :)

Diane M. Wylie said...

You happen to write my favorite genre, Kate. I love all things historical. For you to write about how a Frenchman sees London is remarkably brave and, I think, unique. Men are men regardless of the time period. Give them food, beer, and sex, and you have a winning combination for them.

Great excerpt. You have me hooked.

~Diane

Jaime said...

This sounds GREAT! Definitely on my wish list. :D

J.W. Nicklaus said...

That excerpt was definitely the reading equivalent of a catchy musical riff!

No I want to know where the guy is going on his wedding night/day!

Oh, cruel seductress!

Cynthia said...

Wow! A multicultural hero who isn't a duke! Regency historicals are my favorites. Looks like a fun read to look forward to. I can hardly wait.

Turning the Clock Back said...

the 'guys view of siteseeing' sounds remarkably like my husband :) Thanks for sharing this reivew!

Sharon Buchbinder, Romance Author said...

Congratulations on your new release. It sounds tantalizing!

Hugs,

Sharon

Karen Cioffi said...

Kate, your books sounds so interesting. I love historical fiction also. Congratulations and best wishes for its success!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun read.

Unknown said...

Kate,
Sounds like a wonderful read. I love the humor and twist of fates. Congratulations!

MRW Member,
Loni Lynne

Kate Dolan said...

I'm afraid by using Msr. Simond I may have mislead people about the book. My hero is English, but he hates London as much as the French! I just liked the outsider's perspective on the town. We are so fortunate that it was fashionable for men (and a few women) to keep such detailed journals. No writer these days would write details about the size of the average person's house and what was in all the shops unless they were getting paid to write a story about it. Oh wait a minute, he planned to sell this. Okay, then we're fortunate that there was some sort of market for this information.

V.R. Leavitt said...

Wonderful excerpt!! Sounds like a great book.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Ho, Kate! I just wanted to thank you again for joining us on the blog and wow! What a great response!