Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, January 25, 2010

Mystic Monday

The Sex Demon

I struggled all week with what I would write today, and then last night, it hit me, the incubus.  Okay, so if I had my idea last night, why did it take me so long to post this?  Well, it was too late for my brain to think beyond the one word when the idea came to me, so I opted to sleep and chose to wake up early, so I could continue my recent trend of being awake during the day and asleep at night, when it's dark out.  As much as I love the moon, I do enjoy being awake in the house when my husband isn't home so I can be noisy.  Enough chatter though, let's get to the good stuff, the incubus.

For centuries, men and women have been suffering from strange, unexplained, sexual experiences.  Because little was known or understood about the human body, there wasn't a clear way to explain the body's spontaneous release of sexual tension.  Because sex was so taboo and in some cases considered an evil deed, the incubus and succubus evolved to explain it.  Unfortunately, they were considered demons that needed to be eradicated by whatever means necessary.

On a much sadder, and sicker note, the instances that lead to the creation of the incubus and succubus may have come from a much baser explanation - unwanted sexual intercourse, also known as rape.  Yes, it is quite possible that people attributed rape by a family member or friend while they were sleeping to demons rather than admitting the truth.  The clergy may have been behind this as well.  While this may be true, it is also true that a woman's body can have the same spontaneous sexual release that a man's body has, also called a wet dream or spontaneous orgasm.

There's just one other problem here, there's still no reasonable understanding of why these nocturnal emissions occur, so the existence of the the incubus and succubus remain as popular an explanation as ever.  In fact, we wouldn't have the movie, The Entity without this belief, a movie supposedly based on a true account of a woman's experiences with an unknown demonic entity.  Yes, some of the experiences were sexual, but not all of them were, according to accounts anyway.

Why do we experience these nocturnal emissions?  Where do they come from?  Are they a result of sexual repression or is it more than that?  Do our bodies long for the touch of another so much that it is willing to fabricate the feeling during the midnight hour or are we really feeling a paranormal being such as an incubus or succubus? 

What's your theory? 


5 Moonbeams (comments):

susan said...

I am glad to pop in and say hi. susan L.

susan said...

You can call it sex demon but I like to think it's just part of what we are. I often get teased about my book reading since I like the sexy types..even my kids tease me (they are in their 40's) and I comment "hey I am not dead yet" I know all you hear about are hormores but there is an interactive brain cell which gives these feelings..that is my way of thinking anyway. susan L.

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing your theory Susan!

Sheila Deeth said...

No theories, but fascinating.

Unknown said...

Interesting post, Carrie! I think the sexual/orgasmic principle is one that's so basic and so hardwired into our bodies that it's just a normal reflex, especially at night when it's dreams that could be arousing us. Did you see Mary Roach's talk on orgasms? It's really fascinating (and funny): link here