Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

}Wistful Wednesday{
Are You Crafty?

I have a confession to make. I am a craft-aholic. I love making things. There is nothing quite like the feeling of taking a pile of nothing and making it into something. Got a skein of yarn and some needles? You can make up a hat, a scarf, a sweater, or any number of things. Have some felt hanging around? You can make a Christmas stocking, a 3-D picture, or even little toys. It is absolutely amazing what you can do with a little bit of nothing and some ingenuity. It also helps if you have someone to guide you.

Me, I have the guru of crafts at my disposal - my mother. My mother is the kind of woman who can do just about anything she sets her mind to, with whatever she has on hand. With a little bit of flour, cinnamon and water, she can make a dough for Christmas ornaments that she makes with her grandchildren. With a little bit of felt and trim, she makes incredible Christmas stockings that people pay good money for in stores. With a few yards of fabric and thread, she makes the most incredible clothes, costumes, and quilts. And with yarn and needles, she makes sweaters and afghans and doll clothes.

Now you're beginning to see where I get it from, aren't you? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I love the fact that I grew up in a house where we were always making something interesting with whatever we had on hand. I was not bothered by the fact that I wore a lot of handmade clothes to school - in fact, I wore them proudly. And one of my favorite things to do as a child was to sift through this big tin of buttons my mother had collected over the years. You just never knew what treasures you were going to find in there.

And right about now, you're probably making another connection. How this crafty little kid became an author. Writing, you see, is much like any other craft. You take nothing - a blank page - and with a little ingenuity - and a good laptop or pen - you make it into something - a compelling (hopefully) story. It was only natural that a kid who learned at a young age to make something out of nothing would translate that to the page, at least for me. First in pictures and then, when the words came, in language. All of my life, whether it was with drawings, writings, or crafts, I have been telling stories.

And that's the way I like it.

So what about you? Are you at all crafty? And will you, like me, be making gifts to give for Christmas this year? Please share, I'd love to know. And you don't have to reveal what the gifts are that you're making - we wouldn't want anyone in our families to get a preview of what they're getting this year!

9 Moonbeams (comments):

Anonymous said...

I like to cross stitch:)

The most 'crafty' I ever got was the year we took fabric scraps and made underwear for all the Barbies.

What I will be doing this year is baking more cookies than normal, to give to family and friends, not just my kids' teachers.

Molly

Carrie said...

Yes, I too am crafty. I learned to crochet at the age of 6 and have been doing so for the last 30 years. I've been cooking and baking for as long too. Although, due to tons of food allergies, I can't be as creative as I would like to be.

However, I must say that it does take some ingenuity to make the same old foods interesting when you're sick of eating them. At least one can never get sick of a burger.

My grandmother was the one who taught me to crochet. She used to make the neatest crochet dolls (babies and clowns). Sure, she followed a pattern, but I swear she must have altered it slightly in her own way.

The biggest thing I'm trying to do is just finish a few of the projects I have laying about the house that have been unfinished. If I finish it, I can send it out the door! But it takes time because I'm not always in the mood to crochet or look at the color patterns because they've been around so long! lol!

Margay Leah Justice said...

Molly, I can just imagine you making the underwear for the Barbies! i think baked goods are a good gift - that's what we're doing for extended family.
Margay

Margay Leah Justice said...

Carrie, that's one of the things my mother has to do. She always has a lot of things going on at the same time and if something new catches her eye, she has to start that right away. Hm...that must be where I get that! So the goal this year is to encourage her to get those partially finished things done and out the door!
Margay

Molly Daniels said...

My great-grandmother tried in vain to teach me to knit. I'd do fine while at her house, but would always forget something once I tried it on my own. Finally, my mom got me a spool-knitting kit, and I loved it! I still have my 6-foot rug stuffed into a bag somewhere, still attached to the spool. It was never sewn together.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Molly, that's too funny! Now all I can picture is that rug in a bag, attached to the spool!
Margay

Anonymous said...

LOL...it's very colorful! I don't know how many skeins of yarn I went through...and there's no color pattern. It was whatever color I felt like adding at the time, or whatever I pulled out of my grandma's yarn box:)

Molly

Gracen Miller said...

Every year at Christmas my boys and I make some form of craft to give to the grandparents. Last year we made papermachet Christmas ornaments. We've also made Snowball ornaments out of 3 sizes of styrofoam balls, hot glued itty-bitty buttons onto it's middle styrofoam ball and the head for eyes and nose, wrapped black string around where the top and middle balls connect for the scarf and found small twigs in the yard to stab into the sides as arms.

That's just 2 of the many things we've crafted over the years. My oldest son is 12 and we've been crafting gifts since he was born. It started them as babies with plaster hand and feet prints.

I hope it's memories they remember fondly when they're grown. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to do the same with my grandchildren.

I agree with you, Margay, that writing is a lot like crafting. It's creating something out of nothing and the joy of doing it.

Margay Leah Justice said...

Gracen, I love that you craft with your boys! I think today's boys don't want to do anything that others might consider girlie, but I think that this is a skill that will serve them well in the future. They could grow up to be artists or architects or craftsmen. And they will remember the fun times they had with Mom along the way.
Margay