Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Friday, December 4, 2009

PHANTASM FRIDAY RECIPES

With Thanksgiving behind us and Christmas fast approaching, I’m constantly thinking of food. What to make, if I have the necessary ingredients, or making a grocery list for the items I need. My mother is even calling and asking questions about the upcoming Christmas meal.

Food…food…FOOD!

I’m thinking…ham or turkey? Or both? Pecan pie or Red Velvet Cake? Or both? Dear God, how does one pick between those two? *licks lips in anticipation* Dressing, peas, Mayonnaise Biscuits and Chicken Corn Chowder are Christmas meal staples, so I know I have to purchase the necessary ingredients for those items.



So, with food on the brain, and with everyone sharing their favorite Thanksgiving meal last week, and Nicola Cornick sharing her Husband’s Macadamian Nut Cookies, yesterday (go here to read), I thought it’d be fun to share some recipes with one another and maybe we’ll each find something new to put on the Christmas table this year. But it doesn’t have to be a Christmas food item. I’d still love to hear your favorite food.


So, provided it doesn’t violate trade secrets, share, share, share your favorite recipes! ;-)

I’ll share several of my favorite recipes with you, all of them easy, because with my boys’ busy schedule, I need fast and easy.

Mayonnaise Biscuits
1 cup self-rising flower
4 teaspoons of mayonnaise
1 cup of milk

Mix all ingredients together and pour batter into muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-30 minutes or until golden on top. Voila! You have the easiest biscuits ever created! This is my husband’s grandmother’s recipe and everyone I’ve ever cooked these for love them. Most of the time when I ask what I can bring to a gathering, “Mayonnaise Biscuits” is what comes out of everyone’s mouth. LOL

A way to give them a little pizzazz is to add some shredded cheese into the batter and bake as above. Yummy!

~~~~~

Chicken Corn Chowder
2 chicken breasts
4 cups of milk
1 can of Cream of Potato soup (if you want more potatoes, then add a 2nd can)
2 cups of shredded cheese
2 cans of Mexican Corn (1 can works just as well if you’re not a huge fan of corn)

Boil the chicken until done, then shred it. Combine all ingredients in a large boiler and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently or the milk will scorch. Once the cheese is melted, it is ready to serve and eat! Chicken Corn Chowder is great with Mayonnaise Biscuits too.

~~~~~
And every year we bake Peanut Butter Cookies especially for Santa Claus.

Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup of peanut butter (your choice of creamy or crunchy)
1 cup of sugar
1 egg

Spray a cookie sheet with a non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients, form into balls, place on cookie sheet and use a fork to flatten them. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes away clean.

~~~~~

I hope you all enjoy these recipes as much as we do here in our home. Now, your turn…The Moonlighters want to know your favorite recipes.

WARNING: If you don't share, we'll sic one of Santa's elves on you...
SANTA'S FEARSOME ELVES IF YOU DON'T PLAY NICE

SCARED YET?
All photos taken from Photobucket and no copyright infringement is intended.

6 Moonbeams (comments):

Carrie said...

Hey Gracaen,

Very appropriate topic as I've been having cookies and stuff on the brain too!

But I have to ask, don't your cookies need a little flour? It seems like they might be liquidy, especially with the egg mixed in. Having trouble seeing how you'd be able to make those into balls to squish...

I had to laugh though. Because of my food allergies, I brought a cheese and sausage platter to one of the first Christmases I spent with my husband's family and pretty much ever since then, whenever my husband asks what we should bring, one niece in particular always says, "Cheese and sausage!"

Not that she eats the sausage because she's a vegetarian, but it's more because I bring a lot and about 7 to 8 different kinds of cheeses. Here's what I'd put on the platter:

The following sliced:
Medium Cheddar
Sharp Cheddar
CoJack (Colby/Monterrey blend)
Marbled Cheddar (sometimes)
Widmer's Brick Cheese
Pepper Jack (even though I can't eat it)
Anything else that strikes my husbands fancy

I do not buy pre-sliced usually because I have an electric deli slicer that has been passed down from my grandmother, so it does reduce some of the cost. I arrange it all on a platter with a bowl full of cubed mozzarella (usually string cheese cut up into chunks).

Then we get a 3lb sausage slice it, quarter the slices and forget about arranging theses pieces nicely. I did that all of about 1 to 2 times. With this group it really doesn't matter because once I put it out there, the teens flock to it and honestly, I'm lucky if there is anything left at the end of the night. I don't mind though, because if the kids like it, and I know I can eat it, it's a safe thing.

The problem here is that my husband always wants to bring "something different". I say fine, let's bring both. Well, that is something that never seems to go over with him.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year. I'm waiting to see what the full menu is before I even consider something else because I know a bulk of it will be stuff like shrimp, sushi, and a host of other foods I cannot eat.

Truth - I never get bored with cheese. As I was raised in the dairy state which is home to 350 different types of cheeses including 12 varieties of aged cheddar, it's hard to not eat it.

Gracen Miller said...

Hey, Carrie. You would think the Peanut Butter Cookies wouldn't bake right, but they do. And those are 3 ingredients I usually always have around the house. What type of food allergies are you allergic to?

I have a fantastic homemade pimento cheese that I make. Yum! I'm salivating just thinking about it. lol I'm like you, I never get bored with cheese and it's appropriate for every occasion. I could do without the shrimp, sushi and other fish/seafood types of product. *shudders*

Lisa Avila said...

Can't wait to try your Chicken Corn Chowder recipe. Here is one I make for parties, and always get asked for the recipe.

Hot To Trot Jalepenos

50 jalepenos
1 pkg Jimmy Dean Italian Sausage
2 oz. cream cheese
2 5oz shredded parmesan or romano cheese

Preheat oven to 35*

Cut peppers in half and remove seeds (make sure to wear gloves for this as the jalepenos will burn your hands). brown sausage in pan, splitting into small chuncks, drain. Mix sausage, cream cheese and shredded cheese together. Stuff peppers creating small mounds on top. Bake 20-30 minutes

Tara S Nichols said...

LOL, at the face on that cat, (ducking animal rights activists... wait... that doesn't make sense.)

er hmmm.

ok. My recipe is stupidly simple.

First step:

Apple juice (yes, for real)
Heat in sauce pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, what have you.
Pour into mugs. (slice lemons or oranges in if you want to Martha it up, try a variety of alcohols with it if you dare, but seriously, it's hot apple cider.

Next step: light woodstove, insert hunky man on couch, toss fuzzy blanket on for good measure, toast!

Gracen Miller said...

Ooo...Lisa, those sound good! My boys wouldn't like them, but my husband, my mother and I would dig into them with relish.

Thanks for sharing!

Gracen Miller said...

LOL @ Tara. I laughed for a while over that cat picture too and thought, "the crazy things people do to their animals!" And cats make such perfect faces for things like this. I kind of thought this cat was thinking, "payback's a bitch" while plotting tripping his/her owner down the stairs. LOL

Mmmm...you know I was just thinking the other day that I needed a really good apple cider recipe. I think yours with the "hunky man" is the perfect apple cider recipe for me! ;-)

Thanks for sharing, Tara!