Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Lace and Laughs with Cathie Linz!

I look back and I have to laugh at myself because I started out my academic career studying computer science, but I soon learned that it wasn't for me because, even though I did like writing and debugging programs, I always had a fear that I was going to screw up the machine some how due to an overall fear of the unknown. That fear kept me from embracing the Internet for some number of years. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I even thought of searching for an author online and then it was only two authors, Jayne Ann Krentz and R.A. Salvatore. However, it wasn't until I got the laptop that I dove into the cyber sea with both feet. Then, about six or so months ago, I got the brilliant idea to search for writing communities online and reading author blogs. What a novel idea!

Smart Girls Think TwiceTo think, if I still had that fear, I might have missed some of the great authors I have discovered through blogs like Running With Quills (RWQ), Plot Monkeys, Deadly Vixens and Heidi Betts' Wips and Chains and Must Love Yarn Blogs. Speaking of RWQ, that's where I first discovered Cathie Linz. I had never heard of her before, so it was a treat to read her blog about Smart Girls Think Twice. Through Cathie's guest blog on RWQ, I realized that I like her personality and voice and when she accepted my invitation to blog here on Moonlight, Lace and Mayhem, I did a happy dance!

It is with pride that I bring you award-winning author Cathie Linz! If you haven't done so yet, be sure to check out Smart Girls Think Twice, ,you won't regret it!

Thanks Carrie for inviting me to blog on your site.

Cathie FramedI write contemporary romances that touch your heart as well as your funny bone. They make you laugh and cry. My characters are very real to me and I’ve often said if I could only teach them how to type, I’d be in great shape. When I’m writing and it’s going well it’s as if I’m taking dictation as I hear my characters speaking. As a writer, I’m just trying to keep up with what they are going to do next. This is what keeps it exciting for me, even after writing over 50 books. I want to find out what happens next and I have to keep writing in order to do that.

Some of you interested in writing may have heard the term “pantster” – referring to someone who writes by the seat of their pants [Aside from Carrie - this is so me!] as opposed to having everything carefully plotted out. Both formats are fine – as a writer you just need to find the one that works for your process. There is no single way to write. Instead there are a million ways. My way may not be your way and that’s fine.

I’ve just completed writing my 55th published romance novel Mad, Bad and Blond (out in early 2010) and there were scenes that I didn’t know would appear. The same thing happened in my book Smart Girls Think Twice. I didn’t know the character of Oliver was going to show up, for example. But I was delighted when he did!
[Aside from Carrie - I don't know about the rest of you, but I loved Oliver and Lulu!]

I tend to like writing bad boy heroes like Jake (Smart Girls Think Twice) and Caine (Mad, Bad and Blond). My heroines usually present them with a challenge they can’t resist. I write a lot of fast-paced dialog (that refers back to my hearing my characters talking to each other).
[Aside from Carrie - she may call it fast-paced dialog, but I call it can't put it down, page-turning excitement!]
I also like the family dynamics between mothers and daughters and sisters and the sense of community that we build in our lives.

As well as being a writer, I’m an avid reader. My fave authors include Jayne Ann Krentz and Susan Elizabeth Phillips among many others. I just finished reading Some Like it Wild by Teresa Medeiros, which I thought was a joyful read.

Recently, given all the bad economic news, reporters have started noticing the romance genre and the fact that when times are bad, readers look for a book that has a happy ending. We all have enough hardships and stress in our lives – who needs to read about more?

What about you? Are you reading more romance these days?

I hope you’ll stop by my Facebook page and my website www.cathielinz.com where you can enter my contest to win a free book.

23 Moonbeams (comments):

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathie, I love your work. I first discovered you only last year (sad confession) but am now having fun tracking down older titles from your back list! My first read was Big Girls Don't Cry. I was enthralled within the first few pages and captivated within a few chapters. Thank you for giving us a wonderful, full and lush, female character and a brilliant love story!

Jules

Cathie Linz said...

Wow Jules, thank you so very much for not only making my day but my entire week. Ok, maybe the entire month - grin. And Leena from BIG GIRLS says thanks for calling her wonderful -grin. Cathie

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Hi Cathie, I'm a soon-to-be reader of your books. I've added the titles to my TBR list. I've definitely been reading more romance in the past year. And I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised at the great books in the genre. Not a guilty pleasure for me - a REAL pleasure. So keep writing the books because you're gaining fans!

Melody Thomas said...

Hi Cathie:

I have enjoyed your books for ten years now. All your favorite authors are mine so clearly we share the same taste. Keep up the great work.

Cathie Linz said...

Mary, you are reading the most popular genre on the planet! How empowering is that?! I'd told Carrie that I was also going to talk about the choices we make as SMART GIRLS (grin) -- choices as both readers and as writers. As readers we have the choice of what book we select when we go to the store or shop online. As booklovers, we don't always have the choice to visit bookstores - we HAVE to (grin) even if we alrady have a Mt. Read Me (aka TBR or to be read pile) at home. We just have to check and see what has come out since the last 24 hours when we were in a bookstore or at online bookstore. But then we have the choice of - do I buy or do I wait? Do I try a new author or do I only go with those I know? Do I trust quotes on the covers of books? Those are a few of the questions we have as readers - what are your answers Mary and everyone else? Cathie

Luci said...

Hey Cathie I discoveres you late - only in the last few years but I loved all four books in the series from Good Girls Do onwards!! You are also a real sweetie!! Am really looking forward to your next book.

Cathie Linz said...

Oh Luci thank you so much! And thank you for stopping by the blog to say hello! Cathie

Molly Daniels said...

Hi Cathie:) Glad I'm not the only one who 'hears' their characters' conversations in their head! Looking forward to checking out your books; they sound fantastic:)

Cathie Linz said...

Thanks Molly! Every book of mine that you buy helps feed a hungry cat -- one of my hungry cats (grin) Good luck with your writing! Cathie

MsMicah said...

Hi Cathie! I thought I would hop on over and see how your blog is going today. Can you give us any little hints on your next book that is coming out in March 2010 (I believe that is correct?) which I have been dying to read since I finished Smart Girls.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Cathie, let me tell you it's a lot harder to resist buying when all I have to do is hit a button on my kindle and the book is there in under five seconds! I still read a lot of paper books but I've tried out many new authors with a kindle book.

I blog about books and read other book blogs - that constantly feeds my addiction. My TBR list is a mile long (so it seems) and Mt. Readmore (my actual TBR stack) could get me through next year should all the book stores and libraries be forced to close. That mountain never decreases in size. It just keeps getting higher. And I'm ok with that :D

Cathie Linz said...

Micha, Well you already know that my next book MAD, BAD AND BLOND opens with the heroine Faith being jilted at the altar -- by a text message from her Bali-bound groom. So she takes off on her honeymoon to the Amalfi Coast of Italy (where she's always dreamed of going) on her own. That's where she hooks up with bad boy Caine,who is not all he seems. Cathie

Cathie Linz said...

Mary - that's why I cannot get a Kindle. I would be an addict. As it is I'm addicted to the one-touch order button at amazon.com. I would be broke if I could get books in a minute on my Kindle. My will power would go out the window. I do like that amazon lets you "look inside" the book so I could see the opening pg (as I would in a store) and in fact they've just added that option for the first time to my book SMART GIRLS THINK TWICE. Cathie

Sherry Weddle said...

Hi, Cathie!
I'm really looking forward to Mad, Bad and Blond. I didn't even need the teaser to make up my mind :-) but it certainly sounds fun.
Yes, in this economy, everything that can make us feel hopeful, laugh and get swept away in a wonderful story, helps tremendously.
Keep on turning out such delightful books!
Sherry

Cathie Linz said...

Thank you Sherry! You are one of the people that makes the world a better place. Hugs, Cathie

Sheila Deeth said...

Fun to meet you. I guess I'm reading more romance these day - I thought maybe I was just turning into my Mum, so it's nice to know I'm in such good company.

Carrie said...

I'm so glad to welcome some new "faces" to our blog! We hope you have enjoyed your visit and want to return!

I also want to send out a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Thank you to Cathie Linz for joining us today!

I must say that I have been reading more romance novels as well and have been watching less TV. Even with the DVR, I prefer to watch all my series on DVD (except General Hospital - the only soap I pay attention to these days) to avoid the commercials and sometimes get those special "director's cuts".

There would be something interesting idea for books, "Author's Cuts!" (especially if you really didn't feel the edits did your story justice)

Thanks again, everyone, for joining us and I hope to see you again soon!

Moonlighter Carrie

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathie, You were included at my book group recently after we'd read and discussed Bet Me by JC. We were brainstorming authors who have also written books where the heroin has, let us say, natural curves and where the curvy girl wasn't simply the best friend or sidekick. *grin* Leena's story just had to be included on our list as a BIG GIRL must read!
- Jules

Cathie Linz said...

Sheila, you are in the best possible company. Romance readers are among the best in the world and of course we have wonderful taste (grin). As I said, you are reading the most popular and powerful books on the planet. So if anyone hassles you about your reading choices, you tell them that. Cathie

Cathie Linz said...

Jules, am honored to be included in the company of JC - Jennifer Cruise - who is a friend. And yes, Leena (heroine of BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY) is definitely a woman who deserved her own story. And she got it. For those wondering BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY featuring a plus-size heroine is still available. If your store doesn't have it in stock they can order it. Cathie

Cathie Linz said...

Carrie, thanks so much for the inviation to blog here on your creative site! I hope I was a polite guest (grin). I folded the sheets and put them in the wash, ditto for the towels, and left the blog room as tidy and charming as when I arrived. (grin) Thanks for being such a great hostess! I really had fun and enjoyed my visit very much! Cathie

Margay Leah Justice said...

Cathie,
Thank you so much for blogging with us here!
Margay

Gracen Miller said...

Hi, Cathie. Sorry I'm late to the party. With both my boys out of school and my husband off work for two weeks, things have been really crazy around here.

But, I did want to thank you for joining us Moonlighters. It was a pleasure having you and a delight to read your post. I too am a pantster...I've tried the whole outline thingy and I spent too much time obssessing over it and not enough time writing. lol And like you I also love the bad boy heroes. To me they are more interesting and certainly more fun to write. :D

Thanks again for joining us! It was a pleasure and an honor!